The Joint Programming initiative in Neurodegenerative Diseases (JPND) seeks to improve our scientific understanding of neurodegenerative disorders, provide new approaches for their prevention, diagnosis and treatment, and ensure effective provision of health services and social care so that patients can received optimum care at all stages of their illness.
A current trans-European call focuses on molecular biomarkers for neurodegenerative disorders, but imaging biomarkers may also be included. Additionally, proposals should:
- Define clear objectives regarding harmonization of patient sample documentation, collection and storage
- Deliver biomarker analytical methods within three years
- Specify how the work will add value to ongoing activities
- Specify the impact on disease understanding; management; therapeutics, or healthcare management across Europe
- Demonstrate access to relevant well-characterised populations or suitable biomaterial collections
- Demonstrate that the applicants have the range of skills needed to conduct the studies or have appropriate collaborations in place.
Funding for UK applicants will be provided by the MRC, which is contributing a total of €750,000 and anticipates UK partners in 3 – 5 transnational research groups.
The deadline for applications is 5th September 2011. Further details and information on the initiative may be found: